Monday, September 21, 2009

Week 19: Natural Sushi (0.8 km)

Natural Sushi

Natural Sushi is located just south of Yonge and Bloor. They have a picture of green leafy plants on their sign, just like the hemp store across the street. You can't miss it.

Natural Sushi actually has a sign in their window advertising all-you-can-eat sushi, but I didn't notice it until after I ordered... and in any case, I'm a little AYCE'ed out after last week. So I was happy enough to just order off the menu.

Urajiro

To that end, I started out with by picking out an appetizer I hadn't had before: urajiro, described as "Japanese mushrooms stuffed with shrimp". They weren't so much stuffed as encased in shrimp cakes, deep fried and served with a dipping sauce. Kind of like Japanese breaded mushroom caps. Right on.

Nagoya sushi set

It feels like it's been a while since I had a nigiri-heavy combo, so I picked out one of those. The "Nagoya" came with 6 pieces of nigiri, plus spicy salmon rolls, and a hand roll that I didn't hate as much as I usually hate hand rolls.

Tempura banana

I rarely get desert with my sushi meals, but that's only because a lot of sushi places tend to have crap deserts. A key exception to this rule is tempura fried banana. Especially when it comes served with mango ice cream and chocolate sauce (even if the sauce does appear to be Nestle Quik).

Side note: It seems to be a common theme for places to name their special rolls after Toronto streets, but Natural Sushi was the first place I've seen a "QEW Roll". Odd name, but it looked good, in that it contained BBQ eel. Alas, I didn't have room. Next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment