Monday, May 18, 2009

Week 1: Omi on Church (0.1 km)

I just want to preface all this by saying that I am neither a restaurant critic nor a sushi connoisseur, so I'm not actually going to be writing reviews of these places per se. Just, you know, rambling, uninformative reports. To be crystal clear: this blog contains no information of any value. Thank you.

All right then. Let's get this show on the road!

Oddly enough, even though I'm practically right next door to this place, I've never actually been here before. Probably because I don't get out much. So I get to start the summer off with something new. Yay!

A few months ago, the original owner and/or chef sold this place and opened a new restaurant a few blocks away. Not very far at all, really, but far enough that I won't make it there for months, if at all. It may be interesting to see how they compare. I hear the new place is a lot fancier.

I expect most of my Sushipalooza excursions will be solo jaunts for take-out, but this being a special occasion and all, I brought along a dining companion... and not just any dining companion, but an actual Japanese person! Would she be impressed by the cuisine at this "Japanese & Thai" restaurant? We'll find out...

Omi bento

Not being one to break with tradition, I went with a standard "Medium Bento Box". Big pile of tempura (I love that stuff), some nice healthy fried gyoza, the usual cucumber and salmon rolls. Not too shabby for 10 bucks.

Omi sushi combo

My dining companion's "Small Sushi Combo". Let's see here, we've got your tuna, your shrimp, your salmon, your yummy fake crab stick, whatever that red and white thing is that's in every single sushi combo. Hey, those cucumber and salmon rolls look familiar.

Spider Roll

One of my favourite crazy maki varieties is the Spider Roll. It combines the goodness of deep-frying with the exotic look of little legs sticking out of your food. Fantastic! Unfortunately, the picture's all blurry, but you kinda can't tell if it's small enough.

So that's Omi! Not a bad start to Sushipalooza, I'm thinking. I'll leave the final verdict to our guest critic: "Out of 5 stars, I give it 3. Maybe 3 and a half". Sounds fair to me!

Update: Well, at least someone managed to get a decent picture of the spider roll!

1 comment:

  1. Surprisingly, sushi with spicy Thai sauce tastes good, and "Spider Roll", whose name kind of scared me, became my new favorite. :) Thanks for this fun experiment.

    ReplyDelete