Monday, May 25, 2009

Week 2: Kokyo Sushi (0.2 km)

Now this place I've been to a few times. They have a nice big patio facing a quiet side street (well, quiet except for the subway grate right beside it), which is lovely in the summer. Unfortunately, it wasn't quite summery enough today, so I had to settle for take-out. Alas.

Sushi from Kokyo

The problem with take-out is that instead of getting your sushi served on a little boat-shaped wooden tray, you get it in a crappy plastic box. Well, I'm not an animal, so I decanted my sushi onto my own little tray before eating it. It's no wooden boat, but it's better than nothing.

I believe they called this "Sushi Combo B". It was about 14 bucks, including your run-of-the-mill green salad and miso soup. I'm sure you (whoever you are) can identify these at least as well as I can; in addition to all the things I personally didn't eat last week, it looks like we've got some calamari, some octopus, and some... fish. I dunno, probably talapia or something. Except I'm sure these all have Japanese names. Then we round it all out with some salmon and California rolls.

Tempura tofu

I also got some Tempura Tofu. On the scale of Enjoyable Ways to Eat Tofu, with 10 being those things you sometimes get in Korean restaurants with the red chilli sauce and 1 being the milkshakes your dad makes you drink when you're 8 years old and you break your jaw and can't chew anything, I'd say Kokyo's tempura tofu rates about a 6. Passable, but a little on the soft and bland side, as tofu is wont to be.

And that's that. Pretty good, all in all. Hard to fairly compare with last week, since I ordered different stuff and ate it in the iffy ambience of my kitchen, but whatever. This blog isn't about subjective comparisons and useful recommendations, remember? It's about wasting my time and yours. So mission accomplished!

No comments:

Post a Comment