Monday, June 1, 2009

Week 3: Solo Sushi Bekkan (0.3 km)

Solo Sushi Bekkan

I can't believe this place has been hiding right under my nose this whole time! It's right around the corner from me, but I didn't really notice it was there until I started doing a thorough inventory of local sushi establishments. This is probably because it's a tiny little place (might seat 12 in a pinch), located on Grosvenor St. and only visible from Yonge if you're looking. Perhaps it's popular at lunch time with YMCA patrons? If it's not, it should be. I'm going to go ahead and call this place a "hidden gem".

The menu included clippings from a rave review of a place in Newmarket called Solo Sushi Ya, which this place is apparently an offshoot of. According to the web site, they only opened about 8 months ago, so I guess they haven't been flying under my radar for that long. Still.

Salad

Some of the items on the menu were a little pricier than at some of the numerous sushi dives on the Yonge St. strip, but quite reasonable overall and great value. I mean, sure you can get a $10 bento somewhere else, but your salad's gonna be a chunk of iceberg lettuce with crappy dressing on it. I think I can safely say this was the best salad I've ever been served with a sushi combo. Off to a good start!

Salmon

I got the "Sushi King" combo (you can see the whole thing below). It included a couple of fish items I'm too dumb to identify, and did not include the ubiquitous Fake Crab Stick sushi. Don't get me wrong, I like fake crab stick, but something tells me it's not very authentic. It also included some very tasty spicy tuna (I think :P) rolls.

Maki

Since they have the word "solo" right there in the name, I was all set to go it alone on this one, but at the last minute I managed to coerce someone to go with me again. All the better to sample more menu items! Here we have Salmon Avocado Roll and Shrimp Tempura Roll, both of which got the thumbs-up.

Just as we were leaving, they cooked up what smelled like an order of yakitori for someone. It smelled freaking awesome. Now I want to go back for yakitori, but I kind of have my sushi plate full (so to speak) for the next few months. So I have an assignment for all you legions of loyal readers of this blog: go visit this place and help them stay afloat in Toronto's fickle restaurant business, at least until I get a chance to go back! You won't regret it!*

(* Management assumes no responsibility for your regrets.)

No comments:

Post a Comment