Monday, June 29, 2009

Special: Sushi Train, Winnipeg MB (2,130 km)

Sushi Train

This week's regular installment of Sushipalooza is going to be delayed by a few days, as I am on vacation in beautiful Manitoba. But to ensure I remain in top sushi-eating form, I took time out from my trip to pay a visit to Winnipeg's Sushi Train. I believe there are several locations; the one we went to was in The Forks market area downtown.

Next stop: dinner

Coincidentally, Sushi Train shares a name with a now-defunct establishment back in my home neighbourhood. Toronto's Sushi Train had a conveyor belt running around the room carrying plates of sushi, but Winnipeg's Sushi Train takes the gimmick quite literally, running an actual O-scale train around the sushi bar. They actually weren't running it when we came in, but after my adorable nephew asked nicely, they used it to deliver our order. The kids were delighted.

Garden Roll

Being a gimmicky sushi joint in a tourist neighbourhood, I expected Sushi Train to be outrageously expensive, but it was actually surprisingly affordable. Dirt cheap, even. Most of the menu items fall under the $5 mark. Fine dining this ain't.

Maki

Cheap and dubiously authentic or not, it was all pretty good. With a party of kids and inadventurous eaters, we steered away from the toro sashimi and stuck with the types of maki that cause sushi purists to protest, "That's not sushi!". Shaddup, sushi purists. Some of us like Teriyaki Chicken rolls. In fact, we liked it so much somebody snapped up part of it before I could get a picture of it.

In the end, a good time was had by all, for the princely sum of about 10 bucks a head. Certainly the most entertaining Sushipalooza outing so far. Choo choo!

No comments:

Post a Comment