Monday, June 22, 2009

Week 6: Sushi Supreme Fusion (0.3 km)

Sushi Supreme Fusion

This is the place that started it all... the place I was walking past all those months ago when the idea for Sushipalooza was born. Unfortunately, as was the case with Takumi, by the time I actually got to Sushi Supreme Fusion, the "grand opening" special advertized in the picture above was gone. (Incidentally, another sushi place has opened up nearby this very week, and is of course currently offering a grand opening discount. Will I actually make it to this one before the offer expires? We'll find out in, like, 20 weeks!)

Set sail for sushi

Sushi Supreme Fusion took over the spot vacated by Sunset Grill near Yonge and Wellesley. Given the crumminess of the sign out front, I was rather surprised by the sleek stylishness of their large, bright dining room. The centrepiece, across from the sushi bar, is a large boat-shaped table, complete with ornamental mast. Go with a party of 10 and request -- nay, demand -- to be seated at the boat!

I decided to be kind to my pocketbook resist the temptation to order a whole bunch of items. I really prefer to sample a variety of weird maki, but it's a little hard when you're dining alone. I need more friends, is what I need. But I digress.

Sushi Bronze

So I got a "Sushi Bronze" combo. It contained all the usual suspects, plus a salmon hand roll. Hand rolls are a pain in the butt to eat, I find. I usually try to avoid them, but whatever. Aside from a general dislike for hand rolls, my only complaint with the Sushi Bronze was that the salad was freakin' swimming in dressing. Everything else was perfectly fine.

UFO

As an accompaniment, I ordered the intriguingly named "UFO". It's tempura eggplant topped with spicy tuna. Anything with tempura is pretty muck OK by me, but to be honest I didn't much care for the flavour of the spicy tuna. I think spicy tuna is the kind of thing that's better enjoyed in smaller doses than what was presented here.

My biggest regret about Sushi Supreme Fusion was that I didn't order the "Negima Yaki" pictured on the front of their take-out menu. Enoki mushrooms wrapped in grilled steak. Hell yeah. If that's not on the menu at the next place I visit, I may have to pop back in to S.S.F. for a quick snack some day... that wouldn't be breaking the rules, would it?

No comments:

Post a Comment