Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Special: Ikki Sushi (12.5 km)

Ikki Sushi

I seem to be having some logistical difficulties getting to this week's Sushipalooza venue during their operating hours. So to tide you (or me?) over until I can work that out, I had lunch at Ikki Sushi, way out in the semi-hinterlands of southwest Scarborough.

It's tempting to scoff at the idea of sushi dining in a squat, vividly (dare I say garishly) coloured restaurant surrounded by strip plazas and auto repair shops... especially when the name sounds suspiciously like "icky". But I'm actually quite fond of Ikki Sushi; I've been there several times and find the quality and price to be quite reasonable. And let's face it, nothing about most of the sushi joints on the Yonge St. strip is any more gourmet. Except maybe the colour scheme.

Tofu

To start with, I ordered some fried tofu, proving once again that tofu is in fact edible, if you deep fry it first. The coating was somewhat crispier than some of the similar dishes I've had elsewhere. Crispy == good.

Ikki Sushi

Where downtown places often offer a "Yonge Maki" or a "Queen St Roll" or whatever, Ikki Sushi paid homage to its nearest major intersection with a Kingston Roll and a Midland Roll. I got one of each. I forget which was which.

Kingston? Midland?

My favourite of the two rolls contained crab stick and avocado, topped with slices of cooked fish and piles of tobiko and green onion. The other one was OK too, although being composed mostly of cooked fish and avocado, the texture was a little bit on the soft side. But overall, the Kingston and Midland stacked up just fine to a Yonge and Carlton.

And by the way, it's pronounced "ee-kee".

No comments:

Post a Comment