Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Week 25: Sushi Club (1.0 km)

Sushi Club

OK, I confess. When I do "extra" entries for not-actually-sushi places like Okonomi House, I don't bother to accurately measure off the distance. If I had, I probably would have left it for a week or two... I'm surprised it didn't occur to me that it was practically next door to Sushi Club, on Charles behind the Manulife Centre.

Oh well. Spilled milk... moving on then.

Tempura udon

Tonight was a typical November evening here in Toronto, meaning chilly with an unpleasant drizzly rain. Yech. So I was immediately captivated by two glorious words on the sandwich board outside Sushi Club: Tempura Udon. Perhaps it was just a lingering coveting of my dining companion's udon from last week, but it seemed like the perfect warm-up meal. They thoughtfully served the tempura on the side so you could add it to your bowl one piece at a time and not have it go too totally mushy. My only quibble was with the tempura-battered slice of carrot. What's up with that? That's just weird, man.

Mushroom roll

But my totally made-up Sushipalooza rules require me to include some maki and/or nigiri in my meal, so I ordered some shitake mushroom rolls. I like mushrooms. I liked these mushroom rolls.

Fried Smoked Salmon roll

Here's one I haven't seen before: Fried Smoked Salmon Maki. Smoked salmon, cream cheese, bell pepper, and crab, all lightly tempura-battered and deep fried. Yeah, it's as weird as it sounds. But not half-bad, if you're willing to keep an open mind about such things.

I had quite a pile of food to deal with already when the waitress came by with a complimentary bowl of edamame for me. I'm not sure if this was as thanks for switching tables to accommodate a larger party, a (successful) ploy to get me to order a beer to drink with it, or because they saw me unsurreptitiously taking photos of all my food and mistook me for an influential food blogger and thought they'd get a better review if they plied me with free food. If it was the latter, the joke's on them, I get like 6 pageviews a day on this thing!

Oh, and Tokyo Sushi? Sushi Club will see your Patrick Stewart and raise you Christopher Walken!

No comments:

Post a Comment