Monday, July 20, 2009

Week 10: Sushi on the Run - College Park (0.4 km)

Sushi on the Run

Sushi on the Run is not a restaurant. There's no sushi chef on premises, and they don't (so far as I know) serve any hot food. It's just a little shop equipped with a cooler full of pre-made items. They have a number of locations (er, the number might be two); this one is in the passage connecting College Park to the subway station, across from the Cinnabon. Fine dining this ain't.

I think Sushi on the Run mostly caters to the office drones at lunch time; by dinner time all their sushi is "buy one get one free", which makes it a pretty economical meal.

Sushi plate

I got myself a "Golden Dragon", with fake crab salad or something on the inside and slices of salmon on the outside. Given that this was end-of-day food court sushi, I wasn't surprised to find that some of the salmon was a little discoloured and fishy-smelling. Most of it was OK, but I tossed a couple of pieces.

Eel

My "free" box contained 4 pieces each of California roll and BBQ eel nigiri. Both were serviceable but unspectacular.

Gyoza

I also got a box of gyoza. Nobody likes cold gyoza, so I warmed them up in the microwave, which worked out slightly better than you might expect. They were labelled as "veg.", but they certainly appeared to contain meat. If I were a vegetarian I might be annoyed, but I actually saw it as a bonus.

I'm sure Sushi on the Run must be seeing some stiff lunch competition from Sushi Shop, which offers a much wider variety (and better quality, based on my unscientific survey) in about the same price range. But if you're looking for sushi at dinner time, and want it fast, and want it cheap, Sushi on the Run's BOGO deal is pretty hard to beat.

No comments:

Post a Comment