Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Week 8: Daily Sushi (0.4 km)

Daily Sushi

Daily Sushi is another relatively established contender in the ever-growing lineup of sushi places along the Yonge Street Strip. I think I remember it being there at least 10 years ago. Maybe. It's location right next to the Carlton Cinema makes it perfect for dinner-and-movie outings. Of course, if you live right around the corner and have an hour to kill between dinner and movie, you can run home and blog about your dinner first. But that would be way lame.

Like much of its Yonge Street competition, Daily Sushi sports a casual atmosphere and a ridiculously varied menu. Raw fish not your bag? They've got all sorts of meals based on grilled meat and/or noodles. "Rare beef sushi"? Check. Not one but two kinds of fried calamari appetizers? Check. Plenty to choose from.

2 x maki = dinner

But you can't eat it all, so I picked a couple of the more interesting maki varieties, and just one of the fried calamari variants ("Tempura Squid"). Oh, and a really salty miso soup and some surprise complimentary edamame.

Daily Sushi roll

The "Daily Sushi Roll" (which seems to be called the "Katsu Roll" in the take-out menu, for some reason) consists of BBQ eel, cucumber, and avocado. You had me at BBQ eel. (Oddly, they also have a "BBQ eel roll", which appears to be the same thing, minus the avocado). How can you top that? How about with a "Fresh Mango Salmon Roll", with mango and crab stick, topped with raw salmon? Pretty good for something without any deep fried ingredients.

Hockey combo

My dining companions also had some sort of teriyaki-based bento box, some sashimi, and a grilled beef thing of some sort. I didn't specifically solicit opinions on them, but I didn't see anybody vomiting outside the restaurant so I guess it must've been OK.

Well if you'll pardon me, I have to run back out to catch my movie. Hey, there's a Japanese film playing, maybe I should make it a theme night...

2 comments:

  1. What kind of beer do they serve that you can spill all over the table, chairs, and floor?

    ReplyDelete
  2. @The Tonic: They serve a fine selection of table-soaking beers, as well as a very nice tempura dipping sauce that goes equally well with both yams and birch laminate.

    ReplyDelete