Monday, July 27, 2009

Week 11: Sushi Garden (0.4 km)

Sushi Garden

Sushi Garden is located just off Yonge on Wellesley. Its 50-foot frontage in eye-catching reflective glass might lead you to believe it's a pretty big place... but it's only about 10 feet deep.

Bento D1

I was in a bento mood again, and Sushi Garden obliged me by having about a dozen different bento combinations on the menu. I went with the D1, which for the princely sum of $10 came fully loaded with teriyaki, gyoza, a couple pieces of breaded calamari, spicy salmon rolls, and a dollop of wakame seaweed salad. I like wakame, but when you order it as a separate side you always get a freaking ton of it. So this worked out quite nicely, just enough to enjoy.

The bento also came with the usual green salad (better-than-average dressing) and miso soup (non-dehydrated-looking tofu and seaweed were a nice touch, but the broth was a touch bland).

I ordered beef teriyaki, then after the server left I thought "darn, I wish I ordered chicken instead, I kind of feel like chicken now that I think about it". But I didn't bother trying to change my order. And what did they bring me? Chicken teriyaki! Indisputable conclusion: the servers at Sushi Garden are freaking psychic!

Shrimp, crab, cucumber

And of course I can never resist exploring the special maki menu. I got an imaginatively-named "Shrimp Crab & Cucumber Roll". Guess what was in it? There was one slight surprise: the cucumber was on the outside.

Compared to Daio, Sushi Garden was pretty easy on the wallet. And check this out: $3 domestic and $4 "Japanese" beers. So if you're ever looking for a $3 beer in a place with better ambience than Mr. Tasty Burger, here's another option for you.

I will just close by saying this: I eat slow. After I ordered, somebody else came in, sat down, ordered, ate, paid, left, then another person came in and did the same thing, and also got out of there a good 10 minutes before I did. Of course they didn't screw around taking pictures of their food...

No comments:

Post a Comment