Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Week 15: Toko Bistro (0.7 km)

Toko Bistro

Toko is one of the places I've kind of been looking forward to all summer... not so much for the food as for the novelty. They have a feature that makes them relatively unique amongst Toronto's myriad sushi joints: a conveyor belt that carries little plates of sushi around the restaurant. When you see something you like trundling past your table you just snap it up; the plates are colour-coded by price so the waitress can tally up your bill.

Tempura shrimp roll

Almost as soon as we sat down, I spotted some tempura shrimp maki going by. Yoink! I also helped myself to an assortment of other maki and appetizers. It was hit and miss, but mostly OK.

New York roll

Of course you can also order items off the menu; I got a fairly standard miso soup and a tempura appetizer, plus a "New York" roll with fake crab on the inside and shrimp and tobiko on the outside. Not sure what's so New York about that, but it was good.

Red maki

Like a bull to a red cape (or something), my dining companion was drawn to this lovely red-topped maki on a red plate. He pronounced it to be well worth the $2.50. My other friend decided to try sea urchin roe nigiri... I can't tell you what he said it tasted like, because this is a family blog.*

Sushi-go-round

The biggest beef with our visit to Toko was -- now how can I put this gently -- the service sucked out loud. I mean our waitress was nice enough and all, what little we saw of her, but there simply weren't enough of her. The kitchen was slow too; my partners in crime ordered meals off the menu and they took forever... though not quite as long as their glasses of water, which our harried waitress forgot like 4 times. Oh, and they charged my companion $7.50 for his icky sea urchin thing, even though it was on a $2.50 plate.

Oh well. Maybe it was just an off night for them or something. I ate there before (granted it was like 2 years ago) and don't recall any complaints with the service. And this guy -- perhaps the only man in Toronto to dine in more sushi joints than myself this summer -- didn't mention anything about waiting 45 minutes for a glass of water. So I'll be willing to give them another shot.

(* I should point out that this was an assessment of sea urchin roe in general, not Toko's particular offering. Well, presumably.)

1 comment:

  1. Thats a real shame, I've been there a few times, mostly pre-blog and I've never had slow service. I'd have been ticked off by that as well.

    ReplyDelete