Monday, August 31, 2009

Week 16: Sushi Tower (0.7 km)

Sushi Tower

Sushi Tower is the newest of the numerous sushi joints on the Yonge St. strip. If you have a weird feeling I said that about someplace else before, you're right... back in June Takumi was the new kid on the block; Sushi Tower popped up after that, making it the first place to open during the Summer of Sushipalooza.

Sushi Tower is located near Yonge and Gerrard, in what used to be home to KC Wings & Ribs. I didn't go very often (nor did anybody else I guess), but I liked that place. I have 15 closer places to go for sushi, but I don't know of another restaurant around here that serves crispy deep-fried wings in Thai Sweet Chili sauce. Oh well.

Sushi Kani Salad

Sushi Tower knows what I like; their menu boasts a healthy assortment of "special maki". So I picked myself out a few, starting with a cucumber-wrapped "Kani Salad" roll. It was like a more bite-sized version of a roll I had at Sushi Garden a few weeks back.

Mango roll

Next up was a Mango Roll, with Mango and BBQ eel. Brilliant! More maki should have mango in it. And I always enjoy BBQ eel. Put them together and you've got yourself one fine little roll. No, I don't think it's a weird combo, what are you talking about?

Spider roll

I also got a perennial favourite of mine: the spider roll. The last spider roll I had was a bit of a letdown, but this one fared better. Finally, I tried a Yam Tempura and Avocado roll, which contained exactly that. It was a little bland (not surprisingly I guess), but that's what wasabi is for.

Oh, and I had some Shitake Tempura too. It's like a Japanese version of breaded mushroom caps! Mmm. There's no picture of them, because I was too busy eating them.

Well I'll try not to take out my bitterness at the loss of KC Wings on Sushi Tower. They are a worthy addition to the Yonge St. sushi lineup. Hey, I wonder if they'd start carrying wings if enough people asked?

2 comments:

  1. Very good restaurant... ate sushi pizza there twice over last weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I'm not sure I've ever had sushi pizza... certainly not at any of the 16 places I've been to this summer. Something to try out next time perhaps!

    ReplyDelete