Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Week 21: Michi (0.9 km)

Michi

Michi is pretty easy to miss. Located on Bond St., on the edge of the Ryerson campus, it's tucked away in a basement, at the end of a long hall behind a copy shop. Casually decked out in mismatched Ikea furnishings, it doubles as a coffee shop and snack bar.

Michi Bento

But I'm not here for coffee, I'm here for sushi. From their modest menu, I pick out a bento box. It comes with a nice green salad, some so-so chicken teriyaki, California rolls, 3 pieces of assorted sushi, and "tempura" shrimp which, while quite tasty, bore a somewhat suspicious resemblance to the frozen breaded shrimp they sell at Loblaws. I'm no expert, but I think the sushi itself may have spent some time in a freezer recently too. But being no expert, I don't much care. It was fine.

Grand Canyon

As is my habit, I rounded out my meal with a "special" maki roll. They have several on the menu, but without descriptions of their contents. I picked one with an enticing picture and an intriguing name: the Grand Canyon. It turned out to contain tempura shrimp (presumably the same stuff that was in the bento, but I'm not sure), avocado, and fake crab, topped with what appeared to be cream cheese, tempura bits, and that sauce that makes spicy tuna rolls spicy. I thought it was pretty good on the whole, although the cream cheese was a bit weird.

I hope Michi has better luck serving the Ryerson community than Sushi Plaza did. Perhaps it's crawling with students at lunch time, but on this particular evening I had the place to myself. If I was going to school there, I'd probably visit Michi for lunch on a fairly regular basis. It may not be anything to write home about, but it's good, it's cheap, and you can eat your lunch while you have your friend's textbook photocopied next door. Perfect!

No comments:

Post a Comment