Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Week 23: Mt. Fuji (0.9 km)

Mt. Fuji

This week's Sushipalooza sees me returning to somewhere I haven't been in about 5 years: Mt. Fuji Japanese Restaurant at Gerrard and Bay. I haven't been avoiding it or anything, just, you know... there's a lot of restaurants in this town.

mt-fuji-tempura

Due to previous TV-related commitments, I took my meal to go. Unfortunately, by the time I got all the way home, got all my food tastefully arranged on proper plates, and spent 10 minutes photographing it, the tempura appetizer had gone a little limp. But the sunomono salad stood up just fine with nice crisp seaweed and tasty bits of fake crab. A little light on the seafood, but not half bad for $3.50.

mt-fuki-maki

Mt. Fuji doesn't have quite the selection of oddball maki that I've seen in some places, but I did find a few interesting things, like a flavourful Teriyaki Beef roll. The Tempura Shrimp roll was pretty good too.

mt-fuji-futomaki

But my favourite of the rolls was the Futomaki, packed with colourful crispy veggies and of course the ubiquitous fake crab. It was mighty tasty. I should try Futomaki more often! Though maybe they're not all this good.

It's kinda too bad I couldn't stick around and eat in, because Mt. Fuji is a cute little place, staffed by a cute little couple. But what was I supposed to do, miss Big Bang Theory? I think not.

No comments:

Post a Comment