Monday, October 12, 2009

Week 22: Avocado Salad + Sushi (0.9 km)

Avocado Salad + Sushi

I noticed something interesting today while walking over to Avocado Salad + Sushi at Bay and Charles: a surprising number of restaurants are closed on Thanksgiving Monday. Luckily, Avocado wasn't one of them, because I didn't really have a Plan B for dinner.

Avocado Deluxe salad

As the name suggests, Avocado Salad + Sushi offers a number of interesting salad options in addition to sushi. I tried the "Deluxe" salad, featuring grilled chicken, walnuts, and shitake mushrooms. They called it a "small", but it would've made a pretty adequate lunch on its own.

Avocado maki

But I didn't stop at the salad. I also got some unagi (grilled eel) maki, and a "crunchy mushroom" roll: shitake mushrooms topped with tempura bits. It was quite nice; the texture of the tempura bits was a good balance for the tasty but mushroomy mushrooms.

Avocado Special Maki

The grand finale of my meal was the signature "Avocado Special Maki". It contained crab stick, avocado, cucumber, asparagus, and mushroom, wrapped in what appeared to be pink rice paper, and topped with a delightfully crunchy mix of tempura bits and spicy salmon. It made for quite an elaborate presentation, and all in all I think it was one of the better house special rolls I've seen lately.

Avocado's menu featured something I don't believe I've seen on any of my previous 21 Sushipalooza visits, or for that matter at any other sushi place I can remember: a "create your own maki" option. Is the Avocado Special Maki not interesting for you? Well then just pick out your own combination of fillings, toppings, and sauces! Salmon, cucumber, tobiko, and spicy mayo? No problem! Shrimp, asparagus, pumpkin, cheddar cheese, and chili sauce? You're the boss! Next time I go, I'll have to experiment a little!

No comments:

Post a Comment